Thursday, February 12, 2009

link me. link me harder.

old scoop

new scoop: currently I am writing about the new BA Major in First Peoples Studies at my school. This 42 credit hour program will be the first of its kind in Quebec, has taken 10 years in the making and is expected to triple the native population at Concordia.

I talked to the Native Students Association and the Native Student Center (along with their awesome Department Native Elder Morning Star) about the FPS and it was just wonderful. Quebec doesn't know enough about first nations, Metis or Inuit. period. Ask any separatist spewing the regular radical colonial crap and they won't know a damn thing about native history.

Thankfully, there is a critical mass youth generation across Canada nearing 2 million. although no one acknowledges it NOW the times, they are a changin'. Although they have been systematically removed from the history books (which is the fault of the limitations of a PROVINCIAL education) they're strong in demographic. As John Raulson Saul has said "this has the potential to be the most fabulous success story." I hope it is.

yesterday, when I sat in the Native student center reading materials, asking questions, meeting people, I have never felt so all the way back at the University of Winnipeg. I was stoaked. it was warm. I am going to eat heart-shaped bannok breakfast in the morning. yesss.

As for my story, we will see. The program isn't being offered until 2010, they predict, which doesn't exactly make it a 'timely' news story... whatever.

ANYWAYS, all my homework has gone by the wayside in place of le link. couldn't be happier nor more fucked for midterms, so I should get on it.

happy hallmark weekend, folks. loco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home