Monday, January 5, 2009

ten heads



I couldn't rant and rave about the beautiful backside of simone de beauvoir on my 'serious' blog, so I will do it here. I love her. love her. love her. look at her. if my profs only knew how I perv on her I would be kicked out of the institute...

and, in addition to a glorious french tush, what an institute it is! today was the second day and I feel the intoxicating, academic buzz. I feel like I fit; a sentiment which, admittedly, is likely to wear off as soon as term papers and projects begin to mount and eat away at my motivation... but I will express this elation now: what a tush! what an institution!

Feeling both dichotomies of full & empty in unison (from paying far too much for course packs and then stuffing myself heartily with the (free) vegan goodness of the peoples potato), I spent the afternoon with a new professor, new school, new peers and new ideas about feminism.

In fact, I don't even think that I can title myself in this manner anymore, it is too simple, too limited, requires too many additives.

Today we learned that the ambiguous 'fourth wave' of feminism takes on much more than equality, sexual liberation, autonomy and the ilk and is battling much more than the traditional 'patriarchy' in the home, the public, and politics.

The contemporary arena of feminism requires much, much more. It is a political analysis of race, sexuality, orientation, social class, constructed categories of gender, hierarchies & wealth distribution, media domination, capital. It is about egalitarianism in an age where dismantlingchallengingtransforming the structures that construct these contexts seems, well, daunting.

and, more personally, it is an analysis of accountability and participation in these systems. everyday.

---

but perhaps no one can take this seriously because I am really a female chauvinist pig for exploiting the beauty of simone & her beautiful bum to try to make a point. maybe if we stare at it long enough the answers will suddenly appear, but probably not. from this point forward I vow to put the collective lady-perv on hold & get down to what she wrote & what she stands for and put her behind behind me.

---

& in other news, totally, this man is home & back in my arms.

to spoonfilled nights and mornings, loco.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

word.

i'm trying to define 'feminism' and my interest in it for my statement of intent as we speak.

NOT fun.

let's meet up, soon.

p.s.

your behind isn't so bad yourself missy.

January 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home