Sunday, June 29, 2008

démanagement.

alors,I think I need a foot doctor. six days on, one day off (but not 'off' at all in fact...) is weary on the sole.

Things have been organized, packed, boxed, taped, marked, hauled and placed ready to be reopened all over this crazy french town. Canada Day in La Belle is moving day - I wonder if this is the reason separatism is alive and well. I have lost a roommate (mother figure), gained a roommate (father figure) and am reembracing a third who ditched town for awhile (sister figure).I have also moved in a lover (boyfriend figure). In this grand, sweeping gesture of habitual upheave it feels strange not to participate.... but I'm the only one in my home who plans on standing still for awhile. (You'd think that it would be less work - mais non.) Not unlike another beautiful blogspace I know & love, there are the most amazing matelas patterning every other corner (as well as tables, dressers, mirrors, chairs, obsolete electric idems who might still work? or something? donate them?) who are so quaint, but sad. (nb. madgesty: I tip my hat to you. I dont think I could ever post a picture of myself in cry-mode, as I am far FAR less beautiful than you are when I weep. you have my eternal affection.)

Now more than ever before (perhaps bc I'm reminded daily how tossable our lives are...) , I have come to realize the false comfort of having things. Wokring day in, day out in the commercial heart of the city I find myself wearied by the pace at which we are told in droves to consume and discard mercilessly.

I greatly encourage everyone to pick up Adbusters 'Cool' issue. Here is a quote:

'Cool used to epitomize substance over style. It wasn't about listenting to a type of music, watching certain films, or having 'things'. It was about giving birth to an idea that would radically cahnge our social, political & cultural constructions.

When corporations comodified cool, they stole its essence & turned it into something shallow & superficial. People no longer needed to be cool - they could simply buy it. - Dan Perjovschi.

That was exactly what I needed to read at the exact moment I needed to read it.
I am over cool, officially. over it.
I will be the uncoolest person on earth.

- - - -- - -- ---- --- ---------


As promised, I am going to start blogging the beautiful things sent to me via snailmail (the romantic way).
I dig nostalgia like that.

Otherwise, I have joined hatebook, so fuck facebook. & we found a rental jam space & a keyboard, so hopefully our pathetic little myspace profile will flourish. I am a walking contradiction.

& just because canada seems to have a really hard time defining itself and it iscanada day, I thought I would include this from the CTV.ca News Staff:

" The survey by The Dominion Institute and Citizen and Immigration Canada was released on Monday, just ahead of Canada Day, in the form of a list of the top 101 things Canadians named.

Here are the top five:
1) Queen Elizabeth (really? why? are we really? I'm with Rick Mercer on this one)
2) Maple Leaf (obvious. but the beaver probably should have the upper hand)
3) Universal Health Care (this is a marked difference from the US)
4) Vimy Ridge (my ass. canada is touching bums with bush at the moment, military wise...)
5) Confederation (not celine dion?)

Though the list is broad in its content, ranging from Tim Hortons, ranking at number 60 on the list, to snow at number 63, it also showed a surprising amount of commonality among Canadians' priorities."The findings show citizens in Canada define their country largely in similar ways, regardless of where they're from," Marc Chalifoux, of The Dominion Institute, told CTV's Canada AM. "Different regions will put different local elements in perspective and we'll include them in the list, but at the top of the list people define themselves in similar ways -- the beaver, hockey, the Canadian flag, Canada Day. These are key elements for Canadians to understand their country."

Perhaps more surprising than what was on the list, was what was missing, Chalifoux said.
Elements of (*****)aboriginal culture, for example, were completely absent from the top 101. (*** sidenote: the fact that education is a provincial thing is totally bo-GUS. this is the reason most QBCOIS know little-to-nothing about the plight of First Nations in this country. sad. sad. sad.) And there was also a void in the area of arts and culture. Author Margaret Atwood, painter Tom Thomson and singer/songwriter Neil Young were all missing from the list. (BOGUS) But Celine Dion made the list, coming in at number 33 -- sandwiched between the Calgary Stampede at 32 (bleh. cowboys in chevrolets) and the Canadian National Railway at 34th on the list (we should thank Asian Sacrifice for that one). "She ranked ahead of John A. Macdonald which is a kind of surprising finding in itself," Chalifoux said. "At The Dominion Institute we're very engaged in telling Canadians about their history, particularly young Canadians (history is only required to grade eight or something...).
So to find Celine Dion ahead of John A. Macdonald was a bit surprising, but we're happy to see a lot of historical elements make the list." Confederation, for example, came in at 20th on the list. Vimy Ridge came in at number 30 and the repatriation of the constitution came in at 82."


that is it, that is all. How much do you know about your country?? OVER bran van 3000, Larrybeth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home