Saturday, October 3, 2009

the editorial

I think I've figured out what is worth pumping back-to-back 12 hour days in an office, under paling artificial light, working longingly beside a city skyline but not under it, withstanding dry contacts and burning retinas fixed to the glow of a screen, fingers tapping - pausing - tapping in spurts and stops, research gathering, prose forming, word honing : it is the editorial.

As I voluntarily gave up friday night in favour of the editorial, it dawned on me that this was probably the closest platform to postulate upon, addressing hundreds (maybe even a thousand) people and have them think about my personal politics.

With this realization, words have suddenly felt quite heavy, more significant, more meaningful. It dawned that this was both power and responsibility with reputation always dancing in the distance.

On top of shitting on a daily basis about the facts of the matters, I realize more and more that journalism is serious ethical business. The discipline of weighing words is extraordinary; why did I ever think that it would feel more free?

--- or can it be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home