Friday, May 29, 2009

a photoblog

I am going to break this off in chunks. starting with the most recent trip to NYC of course, then moving back-back-backwards in time when I have the intervals at my disposal. The most elder of fotos stuck in the innards of my camera until now were taken at approximately this time last year and will probably be the very last post of photos entitled avant winnipeg (again) but hopefully it won't take a month.

So, What can you say about New York City? Besides being one of the most congested, polluted places on earth and packed to the titties with tourists, there are some sites to see.

Since it was my mother and sisters first time in the big apple, I had little choice but to meander with them and hit up the 'touristy' things that keep people flocking. On our second day we walked to the boatyard piers to take a ferry trip around the island when we realized: oh shit, this is MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. ... the horny sailors hadn't tipped us off ...

Looming in the distance as we walked towards the water sat enormous army fighter boats with about 1000 tourists taking pictures of them.






including me.

I bit my bottom lip, ignored the service men in white who were eyeing me and my sister (who, according to at LEAST 3 people a day, looks like Britney Spears?!) and got into line. I have never seen more fanny packs, nor 'I heart NY' logos in one line in my life, but so be it.

We cruised around the island (as our boatman mentioned money more times than I could count on both hands) to Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty, who we learned is a gift from the French. (Freedom Fries moment? Anyone?)






a couple hours and a neck-burn later, we were strolling the streets of the city. they, feeling far more cosmopolitan than I, I finding bits and pieces of inspiration along our trails. I think that being to New York before had taken a little bit of excitement and sense of adventure from me (living in harlem projects and one missed subway to brooklyn hardened me like that). But every once in awhile I found something. Mostly it was buildings upon buildings or artwork upon buildings. Here is a random sampling.














In retrospect I feel like a bit of a dick. Notice any pictures of the women I was traveling with? Nada. Bad Daughter.

Also, I feel like a dick because I was absolutely one of those types of people in an art gallery in the MoMA. I couldn't help it; I had never experienced so many classics so close to me. Save the billions of other people exhibiting at the same time, I had a little love affair with most of the art and couldn't help but want to remember them...

so I suck, but...











This, essentially, is where we were staying... ugh...





and finally, what would a trip to NYC be without a late-night tv taping??



we saw him. & the musical guests?? BEASTIE BOYS (& some random dave cook american a-hole... er... idol... )

SO that's that. Other, non-NYC photos to follow...

bisoux. LB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home